Reasoning Ability Syllogism Practice Questions

Mentor for Bank Exams
Reasoning Ability Syllogism Practice Questions
Directions (1 - 5): In each question below are three statements followed by three conclusions numbered I, II and III. You have to take the three given statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts and then decide which of the answers (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e) is the correct answer and indicate it on the answer sheet.
1. Statements: Some chairs are tables.
Some tables are drawers.
All drawers are shelves.
Conclusions: I. Some shelves are tables.
II. Some drawers are chairs.
III. Some shelves are drawers.
(a) Only I and III follow
(b) Only I and either II or III follow
(c) Only II and either I or III follow
(d) All I, II and III follow
(e) None of the above
2. Statements: All trees are flowers.
Some flowers are leaves.
No leaf is bud
Conclusions: I. No bud is a flower.
II. Some buds are flowers.
III. Some leaves are trees
(a) Only II and III follow
(b) Only III follows
(c) Only either I or II follows
(d) Either I or II and III follow
(e) None of the above
3. Statements: All stones are rocks.
Some rocks are bricks.
Some bricks are cement.
Conclusions: I. Some cements are rocks.
II. Some bricks are stone
III. Some stones are cement.
(a) Only I and either II or III follow
(b) Only either II or III follows
(c) Only I and II follow
(d) All follow
(e) None of the above
4. Statements: All flats are buildings.
All buildings are bungalows.
All bungalows are apartments.
Conclusions: I. Some apartments are flats.
II. All flats are bungalows.
III. Some bungalows are flats.
(a) None follows
(b) Only I and II follow
(c) Only II and III follow
(d) Only I and III follow
(e) All I, II and III follow
5. Statements: Some spectacles are lenses.
Some lenses are frames.
All frames are metals.
Conclusions: I. Some lenses are metals
II. Some metals are spectacles.
III. Some frames are spectacles.
(a) Only III follows
(b) Only I follows
(c) Only I and either II or III follow
(d) Only I and II follow
(e) None of the above
Directions (6 – 10): In each of the questions below are given three statements followed by four conclusions numbered I, II, III and IV. You have to take the given statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance with commonly known facts. Read all the conclusions and then decide which of the given conclusions logically follows from the given statements disregarding commonly known facts.
6. Statements : All books are notes.
Some notes are pencils.
No pencil is paper.
Conclusions : I. Some notes are books.
II. Some pencils are books.
III. Some books are papers.
IV. No book is a paper.
(a) Only I and either III or IV follow
(b) Either III or IV follows
(c) Only I and III follow
(d) Neither II nor III follows
(e) None of these
7. Statements : Some fruits are seeds.
All seeds are trees.
All plants are trees.
Conclusions : I. Some plants are seeds.
II. Some plants are fruits.
III. Some trees are fruits.
IV. No plant is a seed.
(a) Only III follow
(b) III and either I or IV follow
(c) II and either I or IV follow
(d) Either I or IV follow
(e) None of these
8. Statements : Some motors are books.
Some scooters are motors.
All girls are scooters.
Conclusions : I. Some girls are motors.
II. Some girls re books.
III. Some scooters are girls.
IV. No girl is a book
(a) I and III follow
(b) II and III follow
(c) I and II follow
(d) I, II and III follow
(e) Either II or IV and III follow
44. Statements : All dogs are rats.
All rats are crows.
All crows are parrots.
Conclusions : I. All dogs are parrots.
II. Some parrots are dogs.
III. Some crows are dogs.
IV. All rats are dogs.
(a) I and II follow
(b) I, II and III follow
(c) Either II or IV follow
(d) Either I or II and III follow
(e) None of these
10. Statements : All papers are books.
All bags are books.
Some purses are bags.
Conclusions : I. Some papers are bags.
II. Some books are papers.
III. Some books are purses.
IV. All books are purses.
(a) Only I follows
(b) Only II and III follow
(c) Only I and III follow
(d) Only I and II follow
(e) None of the above
Solutions: