English Language Error Deduction Questions - Set 30

Mentor for Bank Exams
English Language Error Deduction Questions
Direction (1 – 15): Please select the most appropriate option, out of the five options given for each of the following sentences, which, in your view, should be grammatically and structurally correct. Please note that the meaning & context of the sentence must not change.
1.
(a) Naturalization is the process by which an emmigrant became a citizen of his new country.
(b) Naturalization is the process by which an immigrant becomes a citizen of his new country.
(c) Naturalization is the process by which a immigrant becomes an citizen of his new country.
(d) Naturalization is the process by which a immigrant becomes a citizen of his new country.
(e) None is true. 
2.
(a)He was so tired that he could not cross the street even within the help of porter.
(b) He was too tired that he could not cross the street even with the help of porter.
(c) He was too tired that he could not cross the street also with the help of a porter.
(d) He was so tired that he could not cross the street even with the help of a porter.
(e) None is true. 
3.
(a) The solutions are to avoid the impasse altogether, by taken a slightly different route.
(b) The solutions is to avoid the impasse altogether, by taking a slightly different route.
(c)The solutions are to avoid the impasse altogether, by taking a slightly different route.
(d) The solutions is to avoid the impasse altogether, by taking a slight different route.
(e) None is true. 
4.
(a) As Arundhati Roy in her foreword writes john offers untold stories of people.
(b) As Arundhati Roy in her foreword written john offered untold stories of people.
(c) As Arundhati Roy on her foreword wrote john offers untold stories for people.
(d) As Arundhati Roy in her foreword write john offers untold stories of people.
(e) None is true. 
5.
(a) Responsibilities has include working with the editors on all aspects of the editorial processes.
(b)Responsibilities include working with the editors on all aspects of the editorial process.
(c) Responsibilities includes working with the editors on all aspects of the editorial process.
(d) Responsibilities included working with the editor of all aspect of the editorial processes.
(e) None is true. 
6.
(a)He asked me that which was the way to the station.
(b)He asked me which was the way to the station.
(c)He asked me which were the way towards the station.
(d)He asked me that which was the way for the station.
(e)He asked me which were the way to the station.
7.
(a) I am indeed happy with my school but it produces famous man.
(b)I am indeed happy with my school for it produces famous men.
(c)I am indeed happy from my school but it produce famous men.
(d) I am indeed happy with my school that it produces famous men.
(e)I am indeed happy from my school but it produces famous men.
8.
(a)Each of the six boys in the class have finished their tasks.
(b)Each of the six boys in the class has finished their tasks.
(c)Each of the six boys in the class has finished his task.
(d)Each of the six boys at the class has finished his tasks.
(e)Each of the six boy in the class has finished their tasks.
9.
(a)Who do you think won the award?
(b)Whom do you think won the award?
(c)Whom did you think won a award?
(d)Who do you think was won the award?
(e)Whom do you think is won the award?
10.
(a)I consulted with a doctor whom I met in school.
(b)I consulted with a doctor who I met in school.
(c)I consulted with a doctor whose I met in school.
(d)I consulted with a doctor to who I met in school.
(e)I consulted with a doctor to whom I meet in school.
11.
(a)You should only buy clothes made locally, that is usually sold at small local businesses
(b)You should only buy cloth made locally, which are usually sold for smaller local business
(c)You should only buy clothes made locally, which are usually sold at smaller local businesses
(d)You should only buy clothes made locally, that are usually sold at smaller local businesses
(e)You should only by clothes made locally, which are usually sold to small local businesses
12.
(a)The stones lain near the river, waiting to washed.
(b)The stones lay near the river, waiting to be washed.
(c)The stones lay near the river, wait to be washed.
(d)The stones laid near the river, wait to be washed.
(e)The stones lie near the river, waiting to washed.
13.
(a)I felt no effect from the movie, I wish it affected me, but I thought it was boring.
(b)I felt no affect from the movie, I wish it effected me, but I thought it was boring.
(c)I felt no affect from the movie, I wish it affected me, but I thought it was boring.
(d)I felt no effect from the movie, I wish it effected me, but I thought it was boring.
(e)I felt no affects of the movie, I wish it affected me, but I thought it was boring.
14.
(a)If I loose more weight, I’ll need belt to keep my pants up.
(b)If I lose more weight, I’ll need a belt for keep my pants up.
(c)If I loose more weight, I’ll need a belt to keeping my pants up.
(d)If I lose more weight, I’ll need a belt to keep my pants up.
(e)If I loose weight, I’ll be need a belt to keep my pants up.
15.
(a)These room's carpet must be changed.
(b)This room's carpet must be change.
(c)This room's carpet be changed.
(d)This room's carpet must be changed.
(e)The carpet of this room must be changed.
Answers with Explanations:
1. B) Use ‘an’ in place of ‘a’. Hence B is the correct sentence. Option C is incorrect due to mismatch of articles
2. D) Use of ‘so’ is correct.  Because ‘so’ is followed by ‘that-clause’ and ‘too’ is followed by ‘to+V’ e.g. ‘It is too hot to touch ‘and’ It is so hot that I cannot be touched’. Hence option D.
3. C) Option C is the correct choice.
4. A) Option A is the correct option. Singular subject takes plural verb.
5. B) keeping subject verb agreement in mind, option B is the correct choice.
6. B) The conjunction that is not used before
7. D) The correlative conjunctions indeed... but are used to emphasis the contrast between the first and the second parts of the statement.
8. C) While using ‘everybody’ ‘everyone’, ‘anybody’, and ‘each’ the pronoun of the masculine or the feminine gender is used according to the content.
9. A) Who’ denotes the subject and ‘whom’ is used for the object.
10. A) “Who” is subjective and is used when the pronoun acts as the object of a clause.
11. C) “That” is a restrictive pronoun, which means the phrase following it is needed to understand the preceding statement.
“Which” introduces a relative clause and is used when there are qualifiers that may not be essential.
12. B) “Lay” requires a direct object (past tense: “laid”).
“Lie” doesn’t need an object (past tense: “lay”).
Common mistake: People use the past tense of “lay” when they mean to use the past tense of “lie.”
13. A) “Affect” is a verb that means “to influence or produce an impression.”
“Effect” is a noun that means “the result of.”
14. D) If I lose more weight, I’ll need a belt to keep my pants up.
“Loose” refers to when something is coming undone.
“Lose” is the opposite of “win” or “gain.”
15. E) The possessive case of a noun (nouns with 's) is used with living things.
Correct: The carpet of this room must be changed. (Room is a lifeless thing)